Ashe County is known as “the Coolest Corner of North Carolina”, being as it is located right in the corner of the state, along the border with Tennessee and Virginia. Temperatures are always perfect here, and our fun marketing slogan also reminds our residents that our little corner is always rather cool, even during the hottest months of the summer in the southern United States. It’s one of the many reasons why folks like to move here, own a home away from home, or retire here.
The Blue Ridge Parkway runs a course through the county, and there are several natural areas that are preserved for visitors to enjoy. There are also a few properties and places listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In fact, Wikipedia lists some 27 current sites that are listed on the register, within Ashe County. Here we list a few details about these historic places in Ashe County, North Carolina.
Shubal V. Alexander Archeological District, also called the Grassy Creek Historic District. It is located in Crumpler, and features 38 buildings and structures in this little agricultural area of the county, as well as the Aquilla Greer House (1812-1817).
Ashe County Courthouse, located in Jefferson, is a Beaux Arts style building, designed by the Wheeler & Runge architecture firm. It was built in 1904. The courthouse is also home to the Museum of Ashe County History which include period and area historic exhibits.
Ashe County Memorial Hospital, also located in Jefferson, along Highway 221 (Main Street).
Located in Helton, the Baptist Chapel Church and Cemetery was built in 1872, and is a simple one-story frame structure, covered by weatherboards and set on a common bond brick foundation.
The Bower-Cox House, built in 1820, can be found along State Road 1595 just southwest of Scottville. It is a Late Federal style block featuring a one-story shed-roof porch. It features a Late Victorian addition, that is now used as the front of the house. It has a two-story frame block.
Brinegar District – this place is located in Crumpler.
Clark-Miller Roller Mill – Located on Long Branch Road, near Lansing. It is a historic roller mill, that was built in about 1915. It features a multi-story banked frame, with weatherboard siding and a metal roof. It was built on poured concrete. It is a nice example of an Anglo-American (Midget) Marvel brand roller mill.
The Cockerham Mill is a historic grist mill that was built between 1884 and 1899. It is a scenic and picturesque mill, featuring a one and a half story side gable single pile miller’s house, dam and molasses cooking shed. This mill was one of the first homes in the area to have electricity, which was powered by the dam, providing milling services for a great deal of the community.
A.S. Cooper Farm is a large historic farm that features the A.S. Cooper House (circa 1890), spring house, tool shed/wood shed, and silo. There are other smaller buildings within the complex, including a smaller barn and house, chicken coop, granary and garage. Within the barn is also a milking parlor. The farm is located near the New River, in the Brownwood area of Ashe County.
The Samuel Cox House is a historic house located near Scottville, Ashe County, North Carolina. It is a "T"-plan dwelling consisting of a two-story log, gable roof, main section built in the mid-19th century,with a later one-story frame ell and frame addition on the east side of the ell. The log section was covered with weatherboards about 1880. The front facade features a one-story, full-width shed-roof porch.
The Elkland School Gymnasium can be found in the community of Todd, North Carolina. It was built in 1934 by the N.C. Emergency Relief Administration and features a gable-roof center section with a one story gable roofed entrance pavilion. The structure itself is one and a half stories high. The interior is nicely done with an exposed system of elegant scissor trusses that support the roof structure.
Glendale Springs Inn, aptly named for the area in which it is located, Glendale Springs was built in 1895 and portions were added in 1902 and 1905. It is a two-story structure, following a “T”-plan frame, with a steeply pitched intersecting gable roofs. Sheathed in white weatherboard, the home also features a wraparound porch and second story balconies. Historically, it was used as a main house to a resort that welcomed visitors to the area’s mineral springs and waters located in Glendale Springs. It played an important role during the years between 1935 and 1938 when it served as the headquarters for the Works Progress Administration during the construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is close by. Today, it is a bed and breakfast inn.
The R.T. Greer and Company Root and Herb Warehouse is a historic warehouse located near Todd, North Carolina. It was built in 1918 and is a two-story rectangular, timber framed style commercial building. Todd, North Carolina, was once a booming timber town located along the railroad. Many goods were exported along this route.
Lansing Historic District features 62 buildings in the town of Lansing. You can see several styles of early mid-20th century buildings including the Bank of Lansing, French Young Barber Shop Building, Sapp Department Store, Lansing Mill Company, Coble Dairy Plant, Lansing Presbyterian Church, Lansing United Methodist Church, French Young House, and Sapp House.
Lansing School is a historic school building located in Lansing. It was built in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration and is a two-story, 19 bay wide, building constructed of random coursed native granite blocks, in the Colonial Revival style.
Miller Homestead is a historic home in Lansing that was built around 1905 and is a one story, plus attic frame dwelling that features sheathed German siding. Also on the property are a mill house and garage. The home was owned by local folk musicians Charles Miller and his son Howard.
Located in Helton, along Spencer Branch Road, is the Cicero Pennington Farm, with 20 some acres. The farm features a lovely Victorian home built in 1884 with a main house and five outbuildings including a spring house, garden shed and carriage house, garage and wood shop.
The Perry-Shepherd Farm is also sometimes referred to as the Swansie Shepherd Farm. It is a large farm complex located in Lansing. You’ll find a main home, caretaker’s cottage, a barn, a warehouse, a granary, and three sheds surrounding by woodland, open pasture and blueberry and apple orchards. The home was built in 1890 and is a two story single pile I-house with an original rear wing. It features a Queen Anne style double porch and other decorative elements.
The John M. Pierce House is located in Crumper and was built in 1871 and had several additions over the years. The original structure was built of logs.
Perhaps the smallest and most mysterious historical place on the register is the Poe Fish Weir. A fish weir is a primitive structure that was designed to be placed in a stream or tidal pool to trap fish that travel down the stream. Some of the oldest fish weirs in the world date back 8,000 years. Most fish weirs were created by Native Americans, or colonial settlers. Little is known about the Poe Fish Weir to the public, however it is located somewhere in Jefferson.
Thompson’s Bromine and Arsenic Springs is a historic mineral spring resort and historic district located near Crumpler. It is also called Healing Springs. Near the turn of the 19th century visiting healing springs became an en vogue way to stay healthy. Folks who were sick would travel from far away to bath and drink mineral spring waters across the country. The Bromine and Arsenic Springs were no different. This location features 10 buildings including an octagonal shaped spring house, bath house, and several cabins. A fire destroyed a hotel that was built in 1887.
Todd Historic District is a 19 acre national historic district located along the New River, where the former railroad depot of Todd is located. There are several old buildings leftover from the long ago days of when Todd was a bustling boom town. There is also remnants of a hotel, and several churches.
John W. Tucker House is located in a place called Tuckerdale. It was built in 1883 and is a great example of a Greek Revival and Italianate style home, built as a two story “T” plan frame farmhouse. It has a two-tier porch.
William Waddell House is a historic home located near Grassy Creek. It was built sometime in between 1820 and 1830 and is a two story, three bay, “L” brick dwelling with a one-story ell. There is also a log granary on the property and a family cemetery.
West Jefferson Historic District is a national historic district located in downtown West Jefferson. It features 50 buildings and is considered the heart of the area, with a central business district. When you visit you’ll want to check out the West Jefferson Hotel, Graybeal’s Rexall Drugstore building, the Parkway Theatre, the Dr. Pepper Bottling Company, the Benjamin Cornett House and the West Jefferson Depot.
Creston United Methodist Church, or Worth’s Chapel can be found along Three Top Road in Creston. It was built in 1902 and is a square, frame building with Gothic and Romanesque design elements.