Ashe County and its enclaves or ‘hollers’ as the locals would refer to the areas within its borders, are filled with historical places of significance and beauty. Ashe County was first settled by Moravian explorers, specifically Bishop Augustus Gottlieb Spangenberg, the leader of the Moravian church in America in the latter 18th century. From then, it saw Revolutionary War battles, became a part of the state of Tennessee, and went through numerous boundary updates throughout the 1800’s and 1900’s.
The Battle of Big Glades was fought in Ashe County, during the month of July in 1780 during the Revolutionary War. It was between a militia of patriots led by Captain Robert Love and a force of British Loyalists that were headed to Charlotte to meet with up with Lord Cornwallis. The Americans won this small battle, or skirmish as it is commonly described.
Ashe County’s Courthouse located in Jefferson, North Carolina is a gorgeous example of a Beaux Arts designed building. It was constructed in 1904 and designed by Wheeler & Runge. It now also houses the Museum of Ashe County History and features exhibits and historic photographs. The Ashe County Memorial Hospital located 410 McConnell Street is also included on the National Register of Historic Places.
Glendale Springs Inn is perhaps one of the most noticeable historic homes in the county. Today, it is used as a bed and breakfast which is perfect considering it began as a local hotel in the late 1890’s. It was constructed in 1895 and expanded in 1902 when a wing was added. This two story home features a steep pitch with intersecting gable roofs and a wraparound porch. Balconies on the 2nd and 3rd floors look out to the vistas of the nearby Blue Ridge Parkway.
Other Interesting National Register of Historic Places in the county include:
The Bower-Cox House was constructed in 1820, and is a two story Late Federal style block with a one-story shed roof porch.
William Waddell House – located in Grassy Creek, NC. The two story three bay “L” planned brick home features a one story ell and was built between 1820 and 1830. The interior was made over in 1868-1871 after the home was damaged by a fire. A log granary and family cemetery are located on the property.
Worth’s Chapel – this beautiful Creston, NC chapel is often called Creston United Methodist Church. It was constructed in 1902 and features Gothic and Romanesque design accents. It includes a tall comer tower, tall arched windows and gorgeous scenery. It is still used today for community events. Located on Three Top Road in Creston.